FEDERAL BUDGET IN CONFERENCE
The House and Senate have adopted different versions of a budget for Fiscal Year 2008 and are now “in conference” to negotiate the differences into a single budget resolution.
Action needed: Please call your Senators and Representatives and tell them that the final budget agreement must:
- adopt the House of Representative’s amount for the overall domestic discretionary funding increases. The House version provides roughly $7 billion more than the Senate budget. (Discretionary programs include Head Start, part of CCDBG, and other education programs)
- adopt the Senate’s reserve fund to increase mandatory funding for child care
- adopt the $50 billion increase in SCHIP which is in both the House and Senate bills
- adopt the larger House amount for Food Stamps to reduce hunger
- not extend or create new tax cuts that reduce needed revenues to increase critical programs such as Head Start and child care
Capitol Hill Switchboard: 202-224-3121 or 202-225-3121.
Call 'em if you care...I do.